THE GREAT CHICAGO FIRE FESTIVAL
Redmoon, In Partnership With The City Of Chicago And The Chicago Park District, Created The Great Chicago Fire Festival To Unite The Neighborhoods Of Chicago And Show The World Its Strength. The Festival Expresses The City’s Unique Character By Celebrating Chicago’s Epic Resurgence Following The Fire Of 1871.
COMPONENTS OF THE 2015 GREAT CHICAGO FIRE FESTIVAL INCLUDED:
• Residencies in 7 Chicago Park District Camps engaged teens in curriculum focused on community landmarks in their home neighborhoods
• The Group Ritual Imaging Tool (GRIT) Activity, which explored themes of grit, greatness and renewal, was distributed citywide to 50,000 youth through Chicago Park District day camps, After School Matters programs, Allstate and Boys and Girls Clubs.
• Kick Off event and grand opening celebration for La Villita Park in Little Village engaged hundreds of Chicago Park District campers and other attendees through interactive arts workshops
• The final summer gathering at Ping Tom Park brought numerous organizations together including Ling Ling Dance Company, The Happiness Club, The Remedy, and Ballet Folklorico Xochitl to perform and hold workshops with hundreds of community members.
• Redmoon engaged 80 After School Matters teens in two apprenticeship program involving hand craft making, artistry, and 3D weaving at our Downtown Gallery 37; and drafting, project design, welding and metal fabrication in Redmoon’s metal shop. The final products for both programs were showcased at the Closing Ceremony in September.
CLOSING CEREMONY September 26, 2015
• Location: Northerly Island
• Estimated attendance: 10,000
• 634 Artistic Collaborators including 250 performers and 80 After School Matters Apprentices helped build or performed in GCFF 2015
• 32 Community Organizations partnered with Redmoon for the Great Chicago Fire Festival
• 27 small, local businesses took part in our community bazaar
• 90 volunteers assisted in GCFF 2015 through operations, production and performance activities